Call Us: 614-379-6444
Credit Cards

We accept major credit cards

Nigh Law Group, LLC

June 2017 Archives

Divorce or separation agreements and spousal support

An Ohio resident might pay support to a former spouse after a divorce. Most of the time, spousal support is tax deductible by the payer and taxable to the recipient. However, after a man tried to deduct a payment based on an agreement with his wife, the U.S. Tax Court found that spousal support must be specifically mentioned in a legally binding divorce or separation agreement in order to be deductible

Various ways to come to a child support agreement

It may be possible for an Ohio parent to negotiate a child support agreement without the need to go to court. In some cases, alternative dispute resolution methods are used to get both sides to come to a reasonable solution. It is also possible for parents to negotiate by themselves with or without the help of an attorney. Regardless of how an agreement is reached, it must be approved by a court to ensure that adequate support is provided.

An alternative parenting arrangement in divorces

Ohio parents who are ending their marriage look for ways to lessen the stress of divorce on the minor children. As the term "best interests of the child" is the benchmark for a court's custody and visitation decision, the specific methods of how this goal is met is continuously evaluated.

Communication important as children adjust to divorce

Divorce is a difficult time for children, but parents can help them adjust in a number of ways. It is important to talk to children about the situation. Even young children will know something is wrong if one parent moves into a separate bedroom or out of the house. Children should be allowed to ask questions and process their emotions as needed. In some cases, children may be reluctant to open up about their feelings. Parents should check in and keep the conversation going. Children may deal with grief in a variety of ways, and if it is too much for parents to handle, they might want to consider consulting a therapist to help children work through their emotions.

Nigh Law Group, LLC
115 W Main St.
Ste. 300A
Columbus, OH 43215

Phone: 614-379-6444
Maps & Directions

FindLaw Network